The Hamilton Hippodrome was situated in Townhead Street. The picture above is advertising a run of the film ‘The Charge of the Light Brigade’.
It opened it’s doors on the 14th of October 1907 by E.H. Bostock, to the cost of of nearly £5,000. It was situated at 90 Townhead Street, just at the junction with Low Patrick Street. The building was similar to his Paisley Hippodrome, which in turn was based on the huge Scottish Zoo & Glasgow Hippodrome in Cowcaddens. The building was designed by Bertie Crewe and it was based on ideas created by E. H. Bostock.
The building was a large wooden auditorium.It created space for circus entertainment and for variety shows, and pantomime. There were stalls which could be reduced to make way for a circus ring, circle & balcony. Films were also added if time permitted!
Harry McKelvie who often did pantomimes at the Royal Princess’s theatre in Glasgow also did his shows here at the Hippodrome, the admission prices were: boxes 11/6d, single 2/4d, stalls 1/3d, pit 8d. In the 1930s Harry Gordon, Dave Willis and Tommy Morgan were great favourites and also often did shows here in Hamilton.
It was reported in the Hamilton Advertiser in December 1914 “As it was the festive season the Hamilton Hippodrome were running the Panto ‘Goodie Two Shoes’ starring some local ‘mirth provokers’ and the wounded Belgians soldiers housed in the area were taken to the cinema by the Provost’s wife, Mrs Moffat.”
The Hippodrome was Sold to Winocour’s, 1941. and ran up until 1946 when sadly the building was destroyed by fire.